Thursday, September 9, 2010

Florence, Italy

Having cut into our time in Florence by half a day, we really didn't get too much time in this city. Maybe six hours or so. A good five hours less than we had planned. We had no clue what to do once we got off the train, so we just grabbed a cab to the hotel. It was....hotel....uhhh Montreal. Yes, that was the one. We grabbed a new map and headed to see the Duomo Firenze. The only thing in the city we knew about. So on our way we had dinner in a nice little square. We did some shopping in the square too. The find of the night was these little leather bracelets. I'm totally in love with mine. We took lots of pictures of the Duomo, and had gellato. That's another word I'm pretty sure I spell differently every time I write it. I just want to keep readers on their toes. Also, while you're in Florence and facing the Duomo, turn around and check out the Door of Paradise directly behind you. Having studied art I wanted to see Ghiberti's famous doors, but thought we missed them. Later while watching our video of Florence I spotted the doors as I passed right by them.

We were lucky enough to hear the bells ringing. Beautiful and mesmerizing.



We didn't really do much else in Florence to be honest. Wandered around a bit. Then crashed at the hotel. This hotel had a huge shower. It was half the size of a shower in the US...but that makes it HUGE in Europe. So I thoroughly enjoyed that shower. I could move. The only other thing I remember about the hotel was the blankets on the beds were yellow. I'm sure in thirty years I'll be glad I remembered that detail and documented it here.

The next morning we got a cab to the train station. And I'm so glad we did. He brought us to a different train station then the one we had arrived at. Ten points for the taxi driver and a lesson to be learned. And from there it was off to Venice...

No comments:

Post a Comment