Tuesday, January 24, 2012

World's Most Popular Landmarks (Yahoo!)

I was just having a conversation with someone about 'tourist attractions.' Sometimes there seems to be a fine line between historical or iconic and touristy. The particular area in question was Paris. While I can't speak from experience (and she could), I wouldn't want to visit France without going to Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower. When she visited France she wanted to stay on the outskirts of the city and experience the country. Although admitting the Eiffel Tower was 'neat,' that wasn't necessarily number one on her agenda.

So I don't know if I'm falling into the tourist traps, or why I find it important to visit a famous landmark should there be one in the city I'm visiting. But just the same - I'll be sure to see Big Ben in London and should I ever make it to Paris the Eiffel Tower would be my first stop.

I'm not alone in this method of travel either. Here's Yahoo Travel and Leisure's List of the World's Top Ten Popular Landmarks.

10. The High Line, New York City
9. Swiss Re Building, London
8. St. Peter's Basilica, Rome
7. Millennium Park, Chicago
6. Colosseum, Rome
5. Big Ben, London
4. Eiffel Tower, Paris
3. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
2. Empire State Building, New York City
1. Statue of Liberty, New York City.

Click here for the full article. Looks like New York City wins the popularity contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment