Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Venice Billboards

A topic on today's yahoo news raised some interest for me. It seems there is great debate over the large billboards currently covering many of Venice, Italy's famous landmarks as they undergo renovations. Places such as the Ponte Sospiri (the Bridge of Sighs) and Doge's Palace in St. Mark's Square are currently plastered with billboards advertising Rolex, Coca-cola, and Bulgari. Major players in the art world have written an appeal to Venice's mayor, Giorgio Orsoni, that the advertisements be taken down, citing the disappointment they feel Venice's 17.5 million visitors this year will feel when they are gazing upon ads instead of famous landmarks.

Orsoni has replied saying that the ads are necessary to help fund the renovations. The Palace alone is an estimated cost of over 3.5 million dollars. A balance is trying to be reached between finding the funds to restore these badly-in-need-of-repair buildings, and keeping the ads that bring in those funds at a tolerated level.

I can say from experience that yes, I was disappointed when I arrive in Venice and saw the Ponte Sospiri was currently just a big sign trying to get me to buy a watch. And sure, it ruined my perfect little idea of what the Grand Canal ought to look like. In fact, I tried to find a picture of the ads from my trip to post, and it seems I didn't take any of the Ponte Sospiri. And I can say without a doubt that it must have been because of the giant ads. However, if it comes down to giant signs for a couple of years, or these magnificent buildings falling down...well, in my opinion, bring on the ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment