Friday, October 8, 2010

Guidebook Downfalls

While this blog is like a cliff's notes of the cliff's notes on a travel guidebook, I found this story (link no longer available) on what Guidebooks Won't Tell You interesting. So first, you go read the article, and then I'll tell you my take on those ten items.

1. We're Already Out of Date: Well, so am I. But that's why I tell you to check my facts, prices, or tour information out for yourself. I can only speak about how things were when I went. But in this ever changing world, just because prices were low in 2009, doesn't mean they still are.

2. No News is Bad News: While I'm not going to sit here and trash any place I've been, I will tell you about any bad experiences I've had. The good news, I'm not paid or endorsed by any particular place or business, so I have no reason to fluff up how wonderful anything is.

3. We Haven't Actually Been There: That is sometimes true of the Feature City blogs. But I'm going to tell you if I've been there or not. And if it's somewhere I haven't been, I've done research on what I'm writing. I'm not writing facts all willy-nilly. I also like to provide you with lots of links so you can research and see for yourself.

4. We're Relying On You to Catch Our Mistakes: This one's simple, I don't make mistakes. No, just kidding. I try very hard not to. It's true there's no edit beyond me or Melissa, but we make sure our information is accurate before we post it and that the links work. I even use the spellcheck button, because I'm the world's worst speller. But if you do catch a mistake, or something that is no longer accurate, please leave a comment and we'll fix it up!

5. That "Easy" Hike is Only Easy for Experts: This one truly is simple, I don't hike. But if I did, and I said it was easy, trust me, it's easy. But I'm pretty sure I mentioned that walking up the Spanish Steps was difficult, if that's any indication.

6. We Ruined that Secluded Spot we Mentioned: While I'd like to boast so many readers that a secluded spot I mention could possibly become the next travel mecca, I seriously doubt that will happen. I cannot be blamed.

7. We're Terrified of your Smartphone: Nope, not me. That just means you can access this blog wherever you are!

8. Going to Estonia? We Don't Really Care: No one is sending me anywhere, so maybe you could see a blog on Estonia one day. But this is actually a pretty valid problem with my blog. If I have no interest in going there, you aren't going to see a blog on it. Sorry.

9. We're Tourists Too: Duh, that's why this blog is here. This would come into play when you're reading my travel tips for any given place. I can tell you what traditions/customs I observe and pick up on, but I can't make you seamlessly blend in to any foreign or regional culture.

10. Don't Take All of Our Advice: I would never expect you to do that, although I think I give fairly sound advice. But you know what, I don't mind crowds. So maybe I say going to Cancun during college spring break is a fine idea, maybe you disagree. It's advice, not a rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment