Wednesday, April 3, 2013

United, US Air, or JetBlue?

In the past month and a half I've been on 10 airplanes. I realize for some people that's nothing (people like...pilots for instance), but for the average person that's a lot. Six of those planes took me to and home from Colorado, and those were all United Planes. Two of the planes took me to and home from New York, both JetBlue. And finally US Airways took me to New York again, with JetBlue taking me home. So how do these three airlines stack up against each other and which would I recommend hands down? Let's find out.

United is a perfectly fine airline. I had no problems per say - but they will nickle and dime you to death. Only  using dollar bills and fives. First of all there's a $25 for checked luggage, and that's your first bag. The second bag is $35 and increases with each consecutive bag. Not uncommon for airlines these days though.

Then you get on the plane and have the pleasant surprise that there's live Direct TV in the back of the seat in front of you. At least most likely, not all planes may have been upgraded to this yet. Either way, unless you're going to shell out another six bucks you aren't watching that tv. After about 30 minutes of teasing the tv shuts off unless you swipe a credit card. At least they provide you with free headphones to listen to your paid-for-movie or the free radio in your arm rest. The headphones are in the seat pockets if you're wondering. If you get an older plane, back when they gave you entertainment for free, you might be watching a pre-selected movie on the tvs that drop down from the ceiling. They apparently haven't figured out a way to charge per customer for that.

Now comes the beverage cart. You'll get your drink for free. But that's it. If you want something to eat you'll have to pay for that too. And nothing comes cheap.

I had several delays (including an hour on the tarmac) with United, but with bad weather being a factor I don't know how much was avoidable. My luggage did make it to Durango before I did, and while that's better than later, how come I couldn't be on the earlier plane? I also encountered my only rude stewardess on a United plane, for whatever that's worth.

Skytrax, a global program that measures airline quality through detailed audits, gives United a 3 Star rating. Click here to see their full ratings.

JetBlue starts off on the right, and cost-effective foot by offering customers their first checked bag at no cost. The money saving continues on the plane as you're served drinks and snacks for free. Snacks are varied, as are drinks (although they're missing the cran-apple drink that is my airline favorite). If I remember correctly drinks are pre-poured into a plastic cup and you don't get the entire can, but that seems like a small trade off. They also get drinks three or four at a time, which seems to go faster and there's no drink cart bashing in people's elbows. On the last flight one of the flight attendants was passing out water before everyone was even in their seat. How nice.

Entertainment? Sure, how about some more live Direct tv? How about not paying for it? Watch tv for free, or purchase a movie, you're choice. They'll get you $2 for the headphones though, which you can purchase at the gate or on board. Or simply bring your own for the tv or radio. JetBlue also has more leg room than the other airlines. They must just make longer planes.

In my experience: no delays, friendly staff (friendliest I encountered all together), and an extra $40 in my pocket when I landed. Skytrax gives JetBlue a 4 Star rating. Click here for more detail. A note that out of over 681 airlines only 35 are 4 Star and only 6 are 5 Star.

US Airways is not much different from United. A charge for luggage, a charge for a snack, and (at least on the plane I was in) no entertainment at all. The only perk you're gonna get here is a free drink.

I encountered another hateful employee who chastised me for my carry on luggage. I've been using the same bag for three or four years and never had a problem, but she told me not to use it again (everything short of wagging her finger in my face). Rude.

Skytrax awarded US Airways 3 Stars. Click here for details on their rating.

So who wins the battle of the airlines in my book?

JetBlue. Hands down.


No comments:

Post a Comment