Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Soda Around the World

Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola, right?

Well, mostly. But if you've ever tasted Coke in a country other than your own, you'll surely have noticed that it tastes different. But why is that? Coke has a super secret formula, but shouldn't that formula be the same around the world?

The answer: it is. The concentrated form of Coke (the syrup) is the same everywhere. Coke plants produce the concentrate and then ship it to franchises around the world. It is then up to the franchise to complete the production of the soda by adding water and sweeteners, and the water and sweetener used can change the taste.

The major difference seems to be in the type of sugar used. The US tends to use high fructose corn syrup, because it is cheaper. Other countries, such as Mexico, can get cane sugar cheaper, so that is what they use in soft drink production. In my opinion, the cane sugar gives the soda a much better taste.

I've had soda in Switzerland, Italy, and Mexico, and much prefer any of these countries' drinks to our US counterparts. Another interesting point - our Diet Coke is referred to as Coke Light in the countries I've visited. And it's so much yummier. Also, while I don't like regular Coke here, I could guzzle it in these other places.

If you want to taste the difference but can't hop a jet to Europe, try and get yourself to Atlanta, Georgia where you can visit the World of Coke. Find the Taste It! exhibit to try brands of Coca-Cola products from around the world, both those offered in the US and those not.

2 comments:

  1. I must agree with Kasey about the coke tasting better in other countries. As of now, I've only had coke light in Mexico but it's much better than diet coke here. I wish I could explain in words how incredible the taste is, but sadly I can't. Now, I think I need a diet coke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you search Google Images - you might be able to find some of the old Coke ads - when they actually had cocaine in the soda! (I thought that was an interesting fact...!)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete